Monday, June 2, 2008

Easy Microwave Chocolate Cake

I wanted some chocolate cake. I didn't want to make a big cake that would be sitting around tempting me for days. I only wanted a little bit of cake. And I knew the perfect recipe.

I found it a few days ago. You can see it here. This is a small cake that is made in the microwave. It makes enough for three or four servings, which was just right this afternoon. It tastes surprisingly good for such a simple little recipe.

Easy Microwave Chocolate Cake
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt

Spray a medium microwave-safe bowl with non-stick spray and set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and milk; blend together. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; blend into the mixture until smooth. Pour into greased bowl.

Cover and cook in the microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched. Since all microwaves cook differently, adjust the cooking time to accommodate your machine. To serve, let the cake cool five minutes, then cover the bowl with a plate and turn both bowl and plate upside down so the cake falls onto the plate.

I followed the recipe exactly as written. I think our microwave is pretty weak (we bought it for $5 from D.I. when we got married), because after 3 minutes it apparently wasn't done. I didn't realize this until I inverted the cake onto the plate and there was still uncooked batter in the bowl. Being the food safety expert that I am, I just spread the uncooked batter on top of the cake like frosting. It tasted great!

Here's the cake in the bowl after it was done cooking:

And after I inverted it onto the plate and spread it with "frosting":
We thoroughly enjoyed this simple, conveniently quick chocolate fix.

No comments: