Monday, June 23, 2008

Two Marinades


I have lots of baggies of chicken leg quarters in my freezer. I decided to make some marinade to dress up a couple of them. When I want a no-fuss, no-work meal, all I have to do is cut away the bag, dump the frozen block into the crock pot, and cook it all day. Thanks CrockPot Lady for the idea!

Each marinade is poured into a quart freezer bag with two chicken leg quarters and a quarter cup of water.

Teriyaki Marinade (the one on the left)
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. black pepper

Fruit Ginger Marinade (the one on the right)
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 tbsp. apricot jam
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. lemon zest (or 1/2 tsp. lemon extract, or 1 tbsp. lemon juice)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt

To make/use either marinade, combine all ingredients. Pour over chicken in bag. Add 1/4 cup water to the bowl the marinade was in, swish it around, and pour over the chicken - makes sure you get all that good marinade stuff in with the chicken. Freeze.

To cook, plop chicken and marinade into slow cooker. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water. Cook on low 6-8 hours, or on high 4-6 hours. Serve chicken and resulting sauce over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes - yum!

I'll post the results when I actually cook these. I look forward to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you - the other stephanie! I came over from the crock pot Steph. What a good idea, to have something ready to go when you are strapped for time. Thanks, Margaret