Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cookie Dough Truffles


I have a disclaimer - I am obviously not nearly as good as dipping balls of dough into chocolate as Priscilla is - her cookie dough truffles are beautiful! And you should check out her top ten countdown that she has been doing, of her ten favorite holiday treats. These truffles are number two, so you know they're good! She just posted them today. I started making them as soon as I commented on her post that I had to make them right away.

I loved the idea of these truffles because I love eating cookie dough. These truffles feature a cookie dough filling - it tastes just like regular chocolate chip cookie dough, but without the eggs so it's safe to eat raw. Yum!

Cookie Dough Truffles
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used half vanilla and half almond extract for a fun flavor twist)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (I used half chocolate chips and half butterscotch chips)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (omitted, but these would taste great)
1-1/2 pounds semisweet candy coating, chopped (I just used chocolate chips)


In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour, alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Shape into 1-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Loosely cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.

In a microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip balls in coating, allowing excess to drip off; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. If desired, remelt remaining candy coating and drizzle over candies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.

My little dough balls kept getting bigger and bigger, so I got nowhere near 5 1/2 dozen, but that's okay. Also, you may notice from my pictures that I did not fully dip them in the chocolate. I actually did dip one fully, but it was hard and messy, so I decided to skip doing that with all of them.


Instead, I just dipped the bottoms in the chocolate, and then spread more chocolate on top with the back of a spoon. I think they turned out kinda fun looking. If I had done these around Halloween time, it would have been fun to top each one with an M&M, and call them eyeballs or something.

14 comments:

April was in CA now MA said...

Oh man these look way too easy and way too good. YUM! I can't wait to try them.

priscilla joy said...

i am so glad you made them an liked them stephanie! aren't they delicious? i absolutely LOVE them! they look great...i had a hard time covering mine in chocolate too.

Michelle said...

These look super yummy! I would say it's amazing that you find time to cook so many neat things... but I'll bet it's because you don't have my kids, or a large house... ;-) I want chocolate!!!

Meg said...

These are absolutely amazing! YUM!

Barbara Bakes said...

I love that you immediately made Priscilla's recipe - she's great! They look delicious!

Patsyk said...

I think they look adorable! I can imagine they wouldn't last long enough for a picture if I made them! ;)

Anonymous said...

I think they look great! Like little cookie dough sandwiches, yum!

Rebekah said...

yummy!!!! i love truffles and will absolutely have to try these!!!

Bridget said...

Oh no...I can already feel the pounds creeping onto my hips! These look and sound SO good! Thank you for the recipe...kind of! ;)

Tina Butler said...

Oh My these look so darn good. I love cookie dough and chocolate what a great match.

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, would you mind if I used your recipe and converted it to make it gluten free and put it up on my Celiac blog??

Jenny

Laura said...

Dangerous with a capitol D. These look so delicious. I'd have to make them for an event or something, otherwise I'm sure I'd find myself eating the whole lot of them!

Stephanie said...

Retro Housewife - sure, go for it!

Laura - I didn't make them for an event. I've eaten most of them myself. Making them for someone else is definitely a good idea! :-)

Anonymous said...

I made these as soon as I read this post and YUM. Yum, yum, yum. I had to bring them to share with friends or I definitely would have finished them within an hour. They taste just like cookie dough but with the hard, chocolate shell that makes them that much better!

I didn't get 5 dozen out of it, either. That could be, however, a result of eating the cookie dough before it even made it into the fridge!